Well, it’s almost Summer and are you struggling with those last few pounds before shorts season? Well here’s some tips to help you lose those last few pounds by eating more.
The idea of increasing how much you eat to lose weight sounds a little crazy to most of us—but it is possible. In some cases it can actually help you achieve your weight loss goal faster.
Eating too few calories and/or the wrong kind of calories can actually cause your metabolism to drop, meaning that you’ll burn fewer calories and not lose weight. If this is the case for you, then increasing how much you eat of the right kinds of food may actually help you lose weight.
So, let’s increase those good for you foods, lets eat more and lose weight. So, how do you do this? I’ve pulled some great tips and tricks together from many different sources to get you started.
Try these today!
- Try ‘sneaking’ more veggies into your meals. Double up the amount of veggies that are already included in a dish. This is especially easy in soups, stews, casseroles, and pasta dishes. Cooked cauliflower or chopped cabbage can be easily added to your favorite macaroni and cheese, and diced squash makes a great addition to stews and chili. Spaghetti squash can be mixed in with long noodles such as spaghetti, fettuccini and angel hair pasta. These changes increase volume, fiber, vitamins and minerals, and decreases the carbohydrates and fats.
- Add color and texture to your meals with vegetables. Add color with yellow and red peppers, rainbow carrots, and diced squash with roasted potatoes. Texture can be added with blanched or raw vegetables, salads made with different types of spinach, lettuce, and I even add shredded cabbage to my salads.
- Speaking of shredding! Shredding can add lots of texture and flavor. Shred mushrooms into meat dishes, use shredded cabbage and carrots (like coleslaw mix) for a nice crunch in salads and stir-fries.
- Riced cauliflower can be added to rice dishes or served by itself.
- Add finely shredded carrots and zucchini, steamed carrots, sweet potatoes, pumpkin puree, and applesauce to baked goods like muffins, breads, pancakes, and waffles. Mashed black beans can be added to many chocolate baked goods like muffins, cakes, and brownies.
- Use lean proteins in your meals like chicken and turkey. Use ground chicken for dishes like tacos and casseroles.
- Use cooked cabbage leaves, zucchini slices, or eggplant for part or all of the noodles in lasagna.
- Pizza is a great way to add veggies, fiber, and lean protein. Use cauliflower crust for your pizza with vegetables like mushrooms, peppers, onions, meats like turkey pepperoni, lean ground chicken and turkey and low fat cheeses.
I hope these tips help with your fitness and health goals!
Do you have any other suggestions? Let me know! Have a happy, safe, and healthy Summer!